Happy 1st Birthday pt 2

After presents it was cake time!!!
This is her big cake that I got from Sam's. Ella LOVES animals so it was perfect for her. Plus it matched the color theme I had going-lavender and pink. (This pic makes the writing look blue but it really is a light purple)

Okay, this is where the picture in my head turned out WAY different than real life. I wanted to make Ella a little 'smash cake' all her own that matched her big cake. So I bought these mini cake pans to make her own 3 layer cake. The cake itself turned out great! It was just a polka dot cake mix, but it looked all yummy and moist.
The look of the cake, on the other hand, didn't turn out quite how I imagined it. But, my sister Kari was able to turn it into a decent looking cake. (No offense to Kari, because this was not her fault at all! She did great for what she had to work with, if it'd have been me I'd have thrown it at the wall in frustration) She is really good at decorating cakes, I wish I had pics of the masterpieces she has made for her kids. The problem was mine-my frosting was terrible! It kept melting everywhere! We tried cooling it in the fridge to no avail. We stacked the layers of cake on each other and got the coat around the cake smooth, but slowly the frosting between the layers started seeping out and making the cake sag and tip. The hearts that she had put on the sides started sliding down the cake and the borders that she piped around the top and bottom spread and kind of melted together. I was imagining a pure white base-with pastel pink hearts and lavender edging. Well it's not quite what I ended up with. I still put the purple Elephant on top(fitting right?!) which was cute. Looking at it makes me laugh; I wish you could see the idea in my head and compare it to the real thing, if you could you'd laugh too.
Anyway here it is :)

Then I thought I would make the cute swirly cupcakes that you see everywhere. Well because of time and bad frosting that didn't happen at all. My sister Jana was able to quickly spread some frosting over them and give them a quick decorating. Not what I imagined but it works right :0)

Despite these issues the cake part was still great!
Here is Ella checking out her cake. I love her scrunchy nose face in this pic!
Everyone singing "Happy Birthday"
Blowing out the candle, well Mom trying to show her how to anyway :)
Mmm, sticking her finger in the frosting at tasting it! Yummy!
Presenting her her very own cake!
She goes for the toy first!
A little taste of the frosting
She didn't really like it. But I don't blame her. It was REALLY sweet frosting, too sweet.
Basically she just kept grabbing chunks of cake and frosting, then shaking her hand to get it off.
Blurry hands="get it off me"
She did that until she had destroyed the cake. It looks like she ate a lot of the cake but she really didn't. She ate like 3 bites, 3 little bites. The cake is spread all over the floor, in her seat, basically everywhere but in her mouth. (Hey as a Mom though, I don't mind that too much. It would've been A LoT of sugar to eat which would've been tummy ache and a LOnG night, so I'm glad ;)
After destruction, she was cool with chewing on the elephant
After a quick bath, she hung out with her cousin Kaytlyn. That pretty much rounds out her party. It was so much fun. It was great to watch her open presents, flip the cake around, ya know the whole thing! I'm glad that everything didn't turn out as planned because it makes it more fun that way. The most important thing is Ella; my sweet baby girl is one! I love her so much and I am so thankful for her!

After everyone had gone home, we were hanging out a little longer and Ella found these little cups my mom had.
We put them on her hands and she looked so confused like "Hey, where are my hands?!"
"Eh, no biggie, this works, I can still eat it this way!"

2 comments:

  1. She is so cute! I loved hearing about all your planning--I'm a planner too, and I hate it when things don't turn out the way I have them in my mind. Everything looks GREAT though, I'm sad I missed the party! I need to make Eden a tutu. She asks for one almost every week! :)

     
  2. How fun!

    It's amazing how much kids can change in one year!